Most hospitals have a generally depressing outlook as they are associated with loved ones being in bad health. This makes people avoid going to a hospital unless their health is in terrible shape. Family health practices like Desota Family Care Clinic offer a personal touch to combat the alienation faced by hospitals. Read on to learn more about family healthcare services and their advantages over standard healthcare practices.
What does a Family Healthcare Facility entail?
A family healthcare facility has a range of professional medical personnel specializing in giving personalized health services to people of all ages, including newborns and the elderly. They cater to all your health services, from pregnancy care to delivery, baby check-ups, and yearly physicals.
Staff such as family practice doctors are an essential part of the organization. Family practice doctors offer preventative care, evaluate symptoms and advise you on seeing a specialist. They generally work in close conjunction with other family doctors to consult each other on various medical issues.
Family practice doctors offer a wide array of care services that include:
- Healthy lifestyle counseling
- Routine check-ups that include babies and child visits
- Screening tests
- Health risk assessments
- Treatment of common chronic conditions
For family doctors to be licensed after graduating with an undergraduate degree, they are required to complete the following:
- At least four years in medical school
- Sit for board exams such as Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination of the United States or the United States Medical Licensing Examination
- A three to four-year residency including rotations in pediatrics, obstetrics, emergency medicine, general surgery, and inpatient hospital care
- Certification by the American Osteopathic Board of Family Physicians or American Board of Family Medicine
- The licensing process of the state where they plan to work
What is to be expected during a Family Practice Doctor appointment?
All these will depend on the reason for your visit. These include:
- Head and neck exam
- Checking of vital signs, i.e., body temperature, heartbeat, breathing rate, and blood pressure
- Abdominal exam
- Routine blood tests checking for conditions such as diabetes or high cholesterol
- Skin exams
- Child and infant screenings to evaluate growth
- Prostate exams for men
The doctor will also inquire about your ongoing medications, lifestyle habits, mental wellness, and other health-related queries.
Why should you visit a Family Doctor?
Several reasons may necessitate the need to visit a family doctor, and these include:
- Care for injury or illness
If you are injured or sick, a family doctor can most probably diagnose and treat the condition without the involvement of a specialist.
- Referrals to medical specialists
If your condition warrants one, a good family doctor is well placed to refer you to a good specialist.
- Chronic disease management
- Routine exams
Family health practices have become a common theme in today’s society. They offer more personalized services as you can have a specific doctor who knows your underlying medical conditions and therefore provide routine check-ups. You can check out our website or call our offices in Southaven, MS, for more information.