Have you enjoyed the sun too much this summer and are now looking to treat the damage that it has caused to your skin? Overexposure to the sun can expose our skin to high levels of dangerous UV rays which can lead to multiple skin problems including cancer.
The dermatologist at Northstar Dermatology oncology clinic which is located in Richland Hills in Texas regularly treats many patients for sun damage in Fort Worth. Unprotected exposure to the sun for long hours can also cause the premature appearance of aging signs. This is why the certified dermatologist in this clinic educates all their patients regarding the preventive routine that they should follow before stepping out in the sun.
Common forms of skin damage that occurs with sun exposure
Your dermatologist can determine the right treatment protocol for the damage that has been caused to your skin by prolonged sun exposure only after evaluating the extent and type of damage. Some common forms of sun damage that are treated regularly in dermatological clinics in Fort Worth, Texas are:
- Suntan is never healthy and is only a sign of skin damage.
- Immediate damage is caused by UVA rays while skin damage caused by UVB rays appears a few days after sun exposure.
- First or second-degree sunburns:
- It is a form of thermal burn that the scorching heat from the sun can cause.
- The milder form or first-degree burn causes the burned skin to appear red and is painful to touch.
- First-degree burns can be treated by applying ice and using moisturizers. You can also take an anti-inflammatory to reduce redness and pain.
- When thermal burn by the sun causes the appearance of painful blisters, it is called a second-degree burn. Seek medical help for treatment.
- Sunburns are also put at higher risk of developing metastatic melanoma in the future.
- Brown color, flat, circular spots that appear in clusters in sun-exposed skin.
- Although harmless, you must check out with your dermatologist if they are getting painful or if you notice any change in color or shape.
- Wrinkles and age spots:
- Age spots and wrinkles can appear due to skin damage caused by chronic sun exposure.
- You can seek dermatological advice to prevent the premature occurrence of wrinkles.
- It is a skin patch that mostly forms due to sun exposure during pregnancy.
- The patch can cover your nose, cheeks, forehead, upper lip, and chin.
- Actinic Keratosis and Actinic cheilitis:
- Keratosis refers to the brown-colored skin patches that have a scaly appearance and should be medically treated.
- When the same scaly patches appear on the lips and cause them to dry out and crack, this condition is called actinic cheilitis.
Always ensure that you are going out protected with sunscreens. Always wear protective clothing when you are certain that you have a long day to spend in the sun especially during peak hours. Consult your dermatologist in Fort Worth, Texas if you notice any suspicious skin changes as they can be indicative of skin cancer.