Did you hurt yourself in a slip & fall accident in Atlanta? Were you injured in a car crash that wasn’t your fault? Or did you suffer the consequences of medical malpractice? These are all common examples of personal injury cases, and unfortunately, such incidents are not uncommon in Georgia. No matter your situation, working with the right personal injury attorney in Atlanta can make a difference. In this post, we are sharing a few tips on selecting an attorney.
- Don’t delay in seeking help. Georgia’s statute of limitations only allows two years to file a personal injury claim, fraud, and medical malpractice lawsuits. In other words, you have a small window to take action. If you decide to file a third-party insurance claim (as in the case of auto accidents), the clock of the 2-year deadline is still running. If you want to hire an attorney, do that at the earliest.
- Expertise counts. As we mentioned earlier, the scope of personal injury law is huge and covers different types of cases. If you are hiring an injury attorney for the first time, always check their experience and work profile. “Has the lawyer worked on cases that are similar to yours?” That’s one of the key questions you need to ask when comparing your options.
- Check the fee. The good news is most lawyers in Atlanta take a contingency fee for injury lawsuits. This means that the lawyer gets a part of the settlement as their fee, but that is only payable if you win. It is best to ask about the fee and other expenses of the case in advance.
- Find more through reviews. If you are having a hard time finding lawyers in your area in Atlanta, ask around. References are always useful and reliable, but consider looking online when that’s not an option. If an injury attorney claims to be among the best in business, they must have enough clients and reviews. Reviews posted by other clients can help in knowing an attorney.
- Comfort matters. Discussing the case with an injury attorney takes courage, especially if you were also at fault to an extent. Ensure that the lawyer is someone who is open to answering your questions and is available to talk things in-depth. While a lawyer is not expected to double up as a therapist, they can provide the support and legal strength you need.
You can find top injury attorneys in Atlanta online.