Cloud is creating the biggest buzz in the IT sector today and most fresh graduates seem to be aspiring for a career based in cloud computing jobs. One of the key reasons is the diversity offered in this job role, as it integrates with multiple allied sectors like Machine Learning (ML), Big Data, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Data Science. Also, as major companies have already shifted their resources to cloud servers, there are more job opportunities for students.
Getting a job in a cloud based role might appear to be a daunting task, but with proper skills and learning, it is not too hard a nut to crack. The most suitable path is to go for an online cloud computing course, which helps in grooming you with all essential skills. As the cloud sector continues to grow at a Cumulative Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 16.3%, these courses turn out to be very promising, especially in terms of securing a good job for you.
Since cloud has a huge variety of careers to offer, there are multiple kinds of job roles which stay on stake. Students need to identify the responsibilities of each of these roles, and then choose a suitable course for their own betterment. In this article, we first discuss what cloud computing actually is, its types and then lay stress upon the jobs you can get. Most importantly, we will discuss how you can land yourself in one of these job roles.
What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud computing is an alternative to the traditional practice of maintaining resources on local servers in a room within premises of a firm. It offers the facility of providing real time access to a company’s data and resources from anywhere at any time. The resources, in this case, are stored on digital servers based on the Internet.
Through cloud servers, you can also share your documents with anyone by providing them login access. The key benefits of using cloud computing are:
- Less costs as you don’t need to maintain local servers anymore.
- Better security as cloud services are majorly provided by top-notch companies like Amazon, Google, Apple, IBM and Microsoft.
- Easy workflow management, even during periods of a crisis like COVID-19.
Based on what kind of cloud service is being used, it is of 3 types:
- Private Cloud: Only one firm has complete control over the cloud resources.
- Public Cloud: A 3rd party like Amazon and Microsoft maintaining their clouds, storing resources of various companies.
- Hybrid Cloud: A mixture of services provided by private and public cloud.
Which are the Top Cloud Computing Jobs?
As discussed previously, cloud offers multiple kinds of jobs to students. The table below shows some of the popular job roles in this sector, along with their average salary.
|Job Role||Average Salary Package|
|Cloud Solution Architect||₹18,38,000|
|Machine Learning Engineer||₹7,02,000|
|Cloud Operations Engineer||₹7,00,000|
|Cloud Network Administrator||₹6,00,000|
|Site Reliability Engineer||₹12,97,000|
|Azure Cloud Specialist||₹10,00,000|
|Cloud Support Associate||₹8,23,000|
Which are Common Recruiters for Cloud in India?
Cloud related jobs are available in almost every IT company today. The list below gives names of some of the best companies among these, though it is not completely exhaustive.
- Boston Consulting Group (BCG)
How to Get a Cloud Computing Job?
There are various openings in the cloud today and the figure is expected to rise in the coming future. With good skills in your resume and good certificates, fetching a job won’t be a difficult task.
One of the best ways to improve your proficiency in cloud skills is to join a certification course, focusing on the sub domain of your choice. The table below lists some of the best courses to pursue online.
|Course Name||Course Provider||Duration||Course Fees|
|Post Graduate Program (PGP) in Cloud Computing||Simplilearn + Caltech||12 months||₹2,36,000|
|Microsoft Azure and Cloud Computing: The Basics||Udemy||Self-paced||₹3,200|
|Introduction to Cloud Computing||edX + IBM||3 weeks||Free|
|Post Graduate Program in Cloud Computing||Great Learning + AWS Academy||8 months||₹1,25,000 + GST|
|Advanced Certification in Cloud Computing & DevOps||Intellipaat + IIT Roorkee||7 months||₹75,012 + GST|
|Cloud Computing Specialization||Coursera + University of Illinois||8 months||Monthly subscription|
Interestingly, many of such courses come free of cost, and those are the best for any beginner to join. This list mentions only 6 courses from popular websites. You can explore more to find out which course is the best for you.
Apart from joining an online course, another way to improve job prospects is to enhance your skills. Skill building is already being done through such courses, but if you can identify your individual skill which needs grooming, you can directly target that. Some of the main skills which you need to focus on for securing a cloud computing job are mentioned below.
- Programming Knowledge: It is essential to know some coding languages for any software development job, and so is the case for cloud computing.
- Networking Concepts: Candidates who are skilled in topics like IP address, HTTP, TCP/UDP communication are preferred.
- Hardware Familiarity: Recruiters also prefer those who have some knowledge of routers and firewalls.
- Operating Systems: Knowledge of at least 2 among Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc. is a must.
- Cyber Security: The role of security is crucial in cloud servers, especially when there are so many malwares and ransomwares floating on the web. Candidates have been rejected in the past when they show nil experience in concepts of cyber security.
- Additional Skills: It is good to have some experience of working with Data Science, Machine Learning, IoT, DevOps, etc.
- Soft Skills: Apart from these, candidates should also be good in communication, interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence (EI), etc. They should know how to lead a team and get people to work together in a cohesive manner.
With good skill expertise and good certificates to show, your chances of getting a cloud job get much easier. These 2 things prove to the recruiter that you have those things which you promise.