Testosterone is a crucial male hormone that contributes to the development of physical characteristics in men. Low hormone levels can cause sexual dysfunction, mental distress, and lethargy, amongst other problems. Your trusted low testosterone specialist Fairfield may suggest replacement therapies to restore your vitality. Here are facts about the condition and its implications on your health.
Role of testosterone in the body
Testosterone is a sex hormone secreted from the testes. It has many crucial functions in developing masculine characteristics in adolescent males.
Testosterone is responsible for facial hair in young men. The hormone facilitates the development of bone density and muscle mass. It also plays a role in the growth of the testes, penis, and semen production.
The male hormone also regulates mood and sex drive. It is also present in females and assists in ovarian development and sex function. A balance between estrogen and testosterone is crucial for reproductive health.
Causes of fluctuating testosterone
Testosterone may fluctuate considerably within 24 hours. Elevated levels are usually not a problem for men. But high amounts of the hormone are associated with insomnia, risk of prostate enlargement, and mood swings.
Levels of the hormone can decrease due to excessive body fat. Statistics indicate three in ten overweight men have low testosterone. People with conditions like diabetes are also susceptible to low testosterone.
Other factors that may cause testosterone to drop include:
- Drug use or certain medications
- Testicle extraction or injury
- Insufficient thyroid hormone production
- Hypothalamus and pituitary disorders
Health problems resulting from low testosterone
Testosterone regulates several body functions. Therefore, low hormone levels may trigger many different symptoms. Some symptoms could be a problem with glands or an existing health condition.
Your health specialist will assess your symptoms and perform tests to rule out other health problems. The condition can cause symptoms such as:
- Insomnia and mental distress: Testosterone regulates mood and maintains a sense of well-being. Low levels often cause fatigue, anxiety, and irritability. Research shows it may increase incidences of night-time awakenings and lack of sleep.
- Low sex drive: It is normal for the libido to dip as you age. But low testosterone tends to cause disinterest in sex. Poor diet and insomnia may lead to a more drastic drop in your sex drive.
- Erectile dysfunction and diminished sperm count: Diminished testosterone levels can impact the reproductive system. It may cause erectile dysfunction and low sperm count, affecting your sex drive.
Treatment with testosterone replacement therapy
The process starts with a diagnosis to rule out other factors causing low testosterone levels. A blood test will establish the amount of the hormone in your blood.
One of the treatments is hormone replacement therapy. It is particularly effective for younger men with low testosterone. Testosterone replacement involves replenishing the hormone back to healthy levels.
Your healthcare provider will customize each treatment according to your needs and preferences. Optimization is another aspect of the process that ensures the levels remain at a healthy range.
To learn more about testosterone replacement therapy, call New England Low-T Center to schedule your appointment.