The item is a detachable pump fixed on a keg barrel to allow the safe dispensing of beverages efficiently. This article will discuss the important details that any buyer should know about the keg pump.
The pump is fixed on top of a keg barrel, and then screw tilted in a clockwise motion till it cannot move anymore. Once the lock is in place, the valve is opened, and the knob is moved longitudinally by pumping, which creates an air pressure difference. The pressure leads to the pumping of the beverage by the spout. A continued pumping repeats until the container is filled, and one stops to avoid spillage.
The pump consists of an assembly of detachable parts mainly made of stainless steel, rubber, and some plastic, usually the knobs. The main components are generally the beverage line, the air hose, the valve and handle, and the air pump that enables the beverage to be pumped out of the barrel.
Factors to consider before buying
- Price- depending on brands, there are classes of pumps that range from cheap to expensive. Before buying the budget, an individual will inform of the affordability of a given pump.
- Compatibility with the beverage barrel- different distributors, have various product differentiations, affecting the pumps since they are not all the same.
- Ease of use- some pumps is easier to use than others, depending on the technology used in their manufacture. A buyer is likely to choose the easiest-to-use and most efficient pump.
- The durability of thekeg pump -depending on the material used and brand; some pumps are more durable than others.
- Whether it is oxygen or carbonated dispenser- different pumps use different mechanisms such as an oxygen dispenser and a carbonated dispenser. Oxygen-based dispensers introduce air into the barrel and can lead to the beverage going bad; hence it is advisable to use carbonated dispensers unless the barrel is to be emptied over a short period.
After using the pump,there is a need to clean the pump for storage and maintain hygiene. You can follow the steps listed below;
- Remove the pump from the barrel in an anticlockwise motion and keep it aside.
- With a sizeable cleaning basing and solution, clean the top part of the pump to wash away dust and dirt on top.
- Holding the pump upright and safely, dip the lower part in the cleaning solution as it is done with the beverage. It will see the cleaning solution pumped inside, cleaning the hoses and beverage line.
- Repeat the step above with clean water to rinse
- Wipe excess water to dry and store the pump in a clean place till its subsequent use.
Problems encountered when using the pump.
- Over-pressurized pumps will result in foamy beverages, which reduce the quantity of drink served, thus repeated return to the barrel for filling and time wasted waiting for the foam to settle.
- Spillage when the rubber gasket is worn due to tear, thus leading to wastage
- Slow pumping due to reduced compression as a result of a puncture on the air hose or loose fixing
- There is an incompatibility of pumps from different manufacturers as a result of product differentiation.
This article would be very relevant to someone looking to buy a pump for keg beer. For more, check keg pump price in Kenya.