If there are a few ever-popular online casino games, roulette would be one of them. Online roulette games have made online casinos more enjoyable and accessible to gamblers. In this post, we intend to explore everything there is about online roulette.
1. What is Roulette?
Roulette, the game itself is very simple in nature. You have a wheel with alternating colors of black and red with numbers marked. The numbers go from 1 to 36.
On the other end, it has a table with numbers marked on top. The numbers are also alternating in color, similar to the wheel.
Depending on the variation of the game, there might be a 0, a 00, or both. The zeros are marked in green for casino roulette.
The players make bets using numbers, colors or combining both. Then the dealer spins the wheel and lets go of a ball. The number the ball lands on when the wheel stops determine the result.
There you have it. The simplest explanation of how online roulette games are played. Now, we can go in deep with the details.
2. The History of Roulette
Roulette goes back to the 18th century. France is credited to be the inventor of roulette as we know it. Some historians believe that Blaise Pascal was the one who invented roulette in the process of making the perpetual motion machine in the 17th century.
It is believed that roulette got its current presence in 1796. Soon, the game was popularized around the world. Up until the 1800s, the zeros were marked in black and red as well. But it created a lot of confusion so the color green was selected.
Fast forward to today, we can find many variations of online roulette at the best online casinos in India. The basic idea of the game remains the same but different operators incorporate different rules and house edges. You even have access to live roulette, which in our opinion, is the most fun.
3. The Bets in Online Roulette
Before you jump into the online casinos and start playing roulette, you must understand the bets. The bets may seem quite complicated on the outside. But once you get the hang of it, the game becomes a walk in the park.
There are two primary bets in online roulette. And both bets have many secondary bet types under them.
4. Inside Bets
When you look at a roulette table, you’ll find numbers marked on it. The numbers are arranged in rows and columns. Apart from the numbers, other markings are surrounding them like even, odd, 12s, and so on.
The inside bets are made on the numbers. Any combination you create with the numbers make a different bet. It’s very unlikely that any player will make a bet on just one number because the likelihood of winning is very low. So, there are mostly combinations. Let’s take a look at some inside bets in online roulette.
- Split: A split is when you split your bet money between two numbers. The marker is set on the line separating the corresponding numbers.
- Corner: A corner is when you split between 4 numbers. It’s also known as a square bet or a carre. The marker is placed on the intersecting point between the 4 numbers you choose.
- Street: When you place your bet on 3 consecutive numbers, it’s a Street. The marker is placed on the outskirt of a row. For example, if you bet on 1, 2, and 3, it’s a Street Bet.
- Double Street: This bet works very similarly two the previous one. Instead of 3 numbers, your bet goes to 6 consecutive numbers. The marker is placed between two rows. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 is an example of a double street bet.
- Top Line: It’s a bet with 5 numbers on top of the table. 0, 00, 1, 2, 3.
- Trio: Any bet with 3 numbers where one of them is 0 or 00 is a trio.
- Basket: The bet between 0, 00, and 2.
5. Outside Bets
Just like the different bets on the numbers, you can place bets that go beyond them. And these are known as the outside bets because the bets are placed outside the table.
- The 12s: When you look on either side of the online roulette table, you’ll find the numbers are divided into three groups. The 1st 12, the 2nd 12, and the 3rd 12. You can place bets on any of them.
For example, if you bet on 1st 12, it means you win it when the ball lands anywhere between 1 to 12. Similarly, 13 to 24 for the 2nd 12 and 35 to 36 for the 3rd 12.
- Even: The even bet means you win when the ball lands on any even number.
- Odd: Similar to even, your bet wins when the ball lands on any odd number.
- Color: The online roulette table will have colored markings on the outside. It means you can place bets on the color, either red or black. When the ball lands on a number that matches your choice, the bet wins.
- 1 to 18 and 19 to 36: Very similar to the 12s. You can bet whether the ball will land between 1 to 18 or 19 to 36.
6. Payouts in Online Roulette
Depending on the house edge, the payout will vary from casino to casino. But we can draw a general margin when you play roulette online. Keep in mind that the more unlikely it is for you to win, the more you can expect in payouts.
For example, bets on single numbers pay the most, usually 35:1. When you split your bet, you have 2 possible outcomes. So, the payout is 17:1. Again, for a corner, you have 4 possible outcomes. Hence, the 8:1 payout. Street and double street pay 11:1 and 5:1 respectively. Basket and trio have the same payout as a street because they all contain 3 numbers.
And lastly, for all outside bets, you are paid in a 1:1 ratio.
7. Wrapping Up
When you understand the bets properly, there are very few games that can top online roulette games. Whether you opt for American Roulette, European Roulette, or French Roulette, it’s going to be a nail-biting experience for you.