When it comes to parenting, many trends come and go. Some stay, while some turn out to be only fake promises and do not deliver to the expectation of being a parenting buddy and help for new parents. The new breed of diapers for your babies, the modern cloth diapers, has become the talk of the town in just a few years, and many parents these days opt for cloth diapers over disposable diapers. However, there are several considerations you would need to keep in mind while deciding to buy cloth diapers for your little one. This article will talk about the reasons why parents these days are opting for or should opt for cloth diapers over disposable ones. We will also discuss how cloth diapers are a blessing for your baby and the environment!
Cloth Diapers Vs. Disposable Diapers
You google the phrase “Cloth Diapers Vs Disposable Diapers”, and a million articles will pop up. There would hardly be an article that would say that disposable diapers are in any way a better choice than cloth diapers. We would discuss how they are a blessing for your baby and the environment, but before that, here are reasons apart from being skin-friendly and eco-friendly why cloth diapers are a better choice as compared to disposable diapers:
- Cloth diapers are pocket friendly. The Per piece cost of each unit of cloth diaper is no doubt more than one piece of a disposable diaper. But, one cloth diaper can be washed and used for up to 300 washes. This means cloth diapers equals more than 300 disposable diapers. So, if you add up the cost, they are a much cheaper choice.
- Potty training is easier with cloth diapers. The best strategy that works for potty training is when kids feel the mess in and around you and start to tell them in advance to avoid this mess. Disposable diapers would not be helpful in such a case. But certain types of pull-up style cloth diapers are very helpful in the potty-training process.
- Cloth diapers are adjustable. A good cloth diaper like SuperBottoms UNO can fit from a baby who weighs 7 KGs up to a baby who weighs up to 17 KGs. Thus, you do not need to worry every time about what size would fit your baby.
- With various designs available, cloth diapers look cuter on your baby’s bum. You can mix and match them with a shirt, romper, dress or any top. You do not need to make your baby wear shorts, pyjamas or bloomers over cloth diapers unless it is cold.
Cloth Diapers – A Blessing For Your Baby
We can tell you plainly and simply that cloth diapers are better for your baby and their skin. But let us give you all the right reasons to believe so too.
- Disposable diapers can cause latex allergies in babies. As cloth diapers do not contain harsh chemicals that can cause skin allergies, specifically latex allergies, they are a better choice for your baby.
- To create an excellent absorbance property, most disposable diapers are filled with a material, a chemical known as poly film. While the poly film does a great job absorbing the pee and the moisture, it is also responsible for causing rashes and skin inflammation in babies. On the other hand, cloth diapers are nothing but layers of cloth to absorb moisture and fluids. Thus, they do not cause any harsh reaction on the baby’s skin and are great for your baby.
- Disposable diapers are expensive; thus, parents often do not change the diaper unless the baby has pooped in the diaper. While they are absorbent and might not leak for hours, it is not great for the baby’s bum and skin to be exposed to pee and moisture for long. On the other hand, as cloth diapers are washable and reusable, there is no hesitation in changing them repeatedly within a few hours.
Cloth Diapers – A Blessing For The Environment
Now let us come to the main reason why cloth diapers are gaining so much popularity among people with a sustainable mindset and thoughtful parents. People with a sustainable mindset, environmentalists and even paediatricians these days recommend modern cloth diapers over disposable ones. Here are the reasons why:
- Studies have shown that almost every brand of the disposable diaper on the market contains a harmful chemical known as Phthalates. Phthalates are usually present in plastic products such as toys and baby accessories. But their presence in diapers is alarming, as Phthalates are harmful substances that can harm our environment.
- One disposable diaper takes around 400 – 500 years to decompose. Diapers were not even invented 400 years back. This means that every disposable diaper that has ever been manufactured is still somewhere in a landfill waiting to be decomposed. Imagine the number of disposable diapers polluting and occupying space on earth right now, and millions keep adding daily. On the other hand, cloth diapers are biodegradable, and one diaper can be used for up to three years and, if maintained properly, even beyond.
- A cloth diaper not just lasts the whole diapering journey of one baby but can be passed down to another newborn in the family after potty training. This makes it an even more sustainable choice and better for the environment.
- You do not need toxic or harsh chemicals or products to clean and maintain a cloth diaper. A mild detergent that is free of fragrance that can be used to wash all other clothes of your baby and you is also suitable for cloth diapers. Thus, it helps in not polluting the marine bodies.
Our parents, grandparents and ancestors have always believed in the goodness of cloth and sustainable choices regarding parenting choices and diapering. And knowing how easy it is to maintain, wash and make your baby wear a cloth diaper is an obvious choice for any parent. A choice that is great for your baby and the environment.