If our previous post on when to start studying has piqued your interest, and you’re considering if the Medic Mind GAMSAT preparation courses are right for you, have a look at my obviously biased (but honest) review of our courses.
Attendance and online courses are the two primary types of courses offered by Medic Mind Australia. Attendance courses feature live instruction over three weekends and are conducted in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, and Perth (typically at a major institution), whereas online courses are just that – online. However, because there are differences in included content as well as several possible add-ons, this blog will focus on some of our teaching philosophies (I know, it sounds pretentious, but if Masterchef finalists can each have a culinary philosophy, I can have a teaching philosophy!).
Courses on attendance
Some of the major distinctions that jump out for me, having done a different preparation course myself that was entirely lecture oriented over one weekend, and now having taught the Sydney GAMSAT Ready course for the last two years, are as follows:
Small class size – GAMSAT has small class sizes. Medic Mind Australia sessions are limited to 18 people, which means that I know all of my students by name as GAMSAT tutor, can quickly assess their skill levels, and adapt my instruction to their specific requirements. For those of my former pupils who have run into me at university, in the shops, or who have taken the online course to sit the UK GAMSAT Exam, it means your old tutor will (non-creepily) recognize you by your hair style and where you sat in the classroom (hello Claudia!).
Interactive classes – This may seem obvious, but no matter how interactive you try to make a lecture or seminar, the logistics (a big room, small voices, little personal interaction) mean that you’ll end up with 2 irritating people asking bundle of questions when you sit silently in the corner capturing pictures of the slides with the hope to learn in the future. When you have a small classroom and a class that knows each other, however, there is considerably more opportunity for conversation and for asking that all-important question, allowing your tutor to take the time to explain things in a new way – one that you understand. In most of my seminars, my students establish their own study groups, which adds another important layer to their preparation (nothing we can claim credit for, but it’s all part of a more participatory and collegiate learning atmosphere).
Course format — Instead of cramming everything into one weekend when you’ll struggle to remain up, let alone recall anything, classes are spread out across three weekends so you have time to synthesize and consolidate your learning between each session.
Courses available over the internet (all included in the attendance courses)
- Content available online – Students get access to online features such as theoretical videos, diagnostic tests, 4000+ MCQs with detailed explanations, online examinations, and graded practice essays in addition to the live lectures. In essence, you now have a one-stop shop for all of your GAMSAT Exam preparation needs.
- When I took a GAMSAT Exam essay course as a student, I got a mark, a few remarks in the margin, and the marker’s initials with no way of following up. And that was as worthless as a submarine’s screen door. I’ll confess that I’m prejudiced as a humanities instructor, but the GAMSAT course is far more beneficial. It’s priceless to be able to get detailed feedback with ideas for development and a genuine instructor with whom you can follow up if you have any problems.
- Optional add-ons — As you advance, if you discover that you want to buy extra essays or private coaching for a certain topic, you may do so effortlessly through your online account.
- Monitoring your progress using technology – our MCQs are divided into dozens of sub-topics, and our system will measure how well you perform in each subject during your study, allowing you to focus your study where necessary.
- Ongoing support – In addition to the standard customer service, you’ll have access to our instructors via the online forum until the GAMSAT Exam. You may ask specific questions regarding MCQs or seek help on study strategies or essay topics, and one of our expert instructors will answer directly. We understand what it’s like to be going through the rigors of GAMSAT Exam preparation because the majority of us are current medical students, and we really want to help you succeed.
Okay, I realize that sounded cheesy, but seeing some of the GAMSAT students I coached currently at university with me and even in the same clinical school (hello Cam!) is wonderful, and maybe it’s comforting to know we’re both invested in this.
Work with a GAMSAT tutor one-on-one: GAMSAT High Achiever Program
The GAMSAT High Achiever Curriculum at Medic Mind is the most complete GAMSAT prep program available. In reality, the High Achiever Curriculum is better described as a comprehensive pre-medical program that helps prospective physicians prepare for the GAMSAT, medical school applications, and medical school interviews. The program can begin at any time during the year (regardless of when the next exam is scheduled) and assumes no prior knowledge. Each student is assigned a personal GAMSAT tutor who guides them through the process of applying to medical school. The program’s ultimate goal is to equip students with a holistic, thorough, and well-planned strategy that will give them the best opportunity of getting into graduate medicine.
Candidates must exhibit a high level of desire and a persistent commitment to studying while working closely with their GAMSAT instructor in order to be successful in entering medicine. As a result, admission to the GAMSAT High Achiever Program is by invitation only, and an application form must be completed in order to participate.
For achievements in the university, GAMSAT plays an important role. Australian are required to prepare well before they attempt their university entrance test. For more details, visit Medic Mind Australia website.