The outbreak of Covid-19 increased mental illness significantly since most businesses collapsed, leaving most people unemployed. Besides, most people were worried they and their families could succumb to this pandemic. The rise was evident since most people sought medical treatment while others committed suicide. Psychiatric Consultants of Atlanta main aim is to manage the mental health issues in the region. To reduce the risk of mental health, every individual should have this information.
Mental health symptoms
These common characteristics can alert you that you have mental health.
- If you start having excessive drinking and smoking
- Having extreme mood swings
- Having regular thoughts of hurting yourself or the people surrounding you
- Always feeling fatigued
- Overeating or eating less
- Feeling hopeless and helpless
The following are mental illnesses that commonly affect people.
It is a mental infection characterized by sessions of active, depressive lows and episodes of manic highs. An approximate 2.60 percent of Americans get this disorder every year. Individuals suffering from the disorders have difficulties in thinking reasonably. Additionally, this disorder causes more severe mood swings.
Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
Individuals consider anxiety a normal experience, especially when waiting for a presentation. However, extreme worries about petty things can be an indicator of GAD. For example, those with this condition often worry about what would happen the next day. Therefore, effectively executing the daily tasks can be problematic since they feel that those activities may not favor them.
Social anxiety disorder
This condition is characterized by extreme fear when exposed to social circumstances. Individuals with this condition are worried when they come across other people, especially in social gatherings. They have a perception that people are judging them.
The condition causes extreme hopelessness that lasts for two weeks or more. Individuals with this condition may be at risk of suicide since they are disappointed in their lives. An estimated seven percent of Americans suffer from this condition once per year.
Individuals with these conditions have impairments in their perception of reality and surroundings. They often suffer from hallucinations such as hearing voices which leads to discomfort. This condition can pose a threat when not addressed urgently, and it may interfere with the individual relationship with others.
Mental Health Treatment
In most instances, the treatment does not aim to provide a cure but to minimize the symptoms through addressing the causes, thereby managing the condition. These are the common treatments that specialists apply.
- Medications. The specialists can use mood-stabilizing, anti-anxiety, antidepressants, and antipsychotics based on the patient’s condition.
- Psychotherapy. This is where the patient speaks with the therapist regarding their experiences, feelings, and thoughts for the specialist to identify the problem.
- Hospital and residential treatment. This is where the patient requires intensive treatment at the hospital or where they live.
- Lifestyle treatments and home solutions. These are usually alternative treatments that the health specialist can recommend to supplement other treatments.
Most people who have mental illness rarely seek help since they ignore that they have this condition. This causes the condition to worsen, affecting them and those surrounding them. If you suspect that you could have a mental illness, you should contact Bryon K. Evans, MD. He will evaluate your condition and suggest the best ways to manage it. Visit the facility today to take charge of your mental health.