Diving in Cozumel is one of the popular sports around the island. You must follow a few tips for Scuba Diving in Cozumel. They are as follows:
- Achieve neutral buoyancy: Achieving a neutral buoyancy is a key to a smooth gliding experience over the reefs of the Mediterranean. You must carry just enough weight to help you with the neutral buoyancy. It will ensure that you do not require excess air for achieving buoyancy. Going light is an essential aspect of achieving a smooth scuba diving experience.
- Maintain a horizontal position: Maintaining an almost horizontal body posture can help you glide through the waters easily. Understand the body structure of fishes and how they maintain their balance underwater. If you have a similar body posture, it will be easier to cut through the water. Trimming your gear is one of the possible aspects that can help you maintain a horizontal posture during your dive.
- Tie the loose ends: Keeping parts of your attire or diving gear dangling is not a great idea while scuba diving, especially when you are drifting against the water currents. Such dangling gear will hinder your process of dive and not let you move smoothly under the water.
- Carry a surface marker buoy: Carrying a surface marker buoy or SMB is essential while scuba diving. No matter how confident you are with the diving process, this can help you drift through the water safely and notify your dive boat in case you face any issues during your dive.
- Be alert: Keeping alert always and staying observant of any instructions is essential when you are diving. If you are diving in a group, you must go down and come up at the same time, so instructions from your diving instructor should be followed at all times without fail. Otherwise, there are chances of safety issues for scuba divers who depend on groups for diving.
- Glide upfront or outback: You must decide, at a point, whether to glide upfront or go outback. The decision can depend on any underwater traffic, marine life, etc. Here again, you must follow the group and listen to your instructor for a safe experience.
- Follow the current: Going against the current when underwater for a scuba dive is not a great idea. You must follow the current otherwise, you will get exhausted quickly and not have an enjoyable experience.
- Checkout for additional water currents: There might be some excess water currents around reefs or when a shoal of fishes or marine life pass. Be observant of the same and take necessary precautions to stay out of the way.
- Ascending is as crucial as descending: Ascending after a Cozumel scuba diving requires as much training as descending. Follow the instructions so ascend safely after your diving experience. The surface marker buoy can be useful to help you ascend in the right direction and your diving boat to find you quickly.
Follow the tips to have a great scuba diving experience in Cozumel.