All pediatricians and scientists talk about the benefits of breast milk. And it is undoubtedly the healthiest and most natural food for babies. But what about the mothers who have to feed their children formula for one reason or another? After all, breastfeeding experts say that the transition to formula must be strictly justified, and some present the information so exaggeratedly that it seems that breastfeeding is the only obligation and purpose of all mothers. We will not enter into arguments on this matter, but only help to understand the women who, for whatever reason, have to feed their baby with formula, because there are situations when artificial feeding is the only way out.
What is formula milk?
Infant formula is a type of special food developed for artificial feeding of the baby or to supplement the mother’s breast milk. It consists of whey, powdered milk, protein hydrolysate, and many other components. Thanks to it, the baby receives all the necessary substances for normal development. True, this only becomes possible when choosing the best infant formula, depending on the manufacturer, from the first month of life. Today, there is a huge selection of conventional and specialized formulas on the market for infant formula. To better understand this issue, you can go to organicsbestshop.com and choose the best organic baby formula for your baby.
First, the choice of formula for a healthy pre-term baby is carried out according to age indicators. There are formulas to feed newborns, and some are universal, for example, from 0 to 12 months. But in general, the categories look like this:
- PRE – for premature and low birth weight babies;
- 0 to six months for completely healthy babies;
- The next category is from six months to one year, most often marked “2”;
- Children one year and older.
Babies who are born at the due date and have a normal weight will be fine with an adapted formula. It is similar in composition to breast milk, and full of vitamins according to the body’s age requirements. As a rule, such food includes components which improve the baby’s digestive system and promote rational weight gain and muscular tissue development. For children with certain health problems there are special mixes such as antireflux, hypoallergenic, gluten-free, sour milk and comfort.
How to choose baby milk formula?
There is a definite list of criteria for the selection of milk formulas among baby-feeding specialists:
– Safety of use – that is, the absence of side effects (diarrhea, allergies);
– Ease of preparation – clearly specified proportions, no lumps in the dry mass, speed of dissolution in water, the presence of foam is not desirable;
– Effectiveness of admission – the baby normally gains weight, grows and develops;
– Composition – the presence of vitamins, minerals, etc.;
– Availability on the market, including price;
– Versatility, suitable for both artificial and partial feeding;
– Type – adapted, lactose-free, palm oil-free or hypoallergenic;
– No artificial ingredients in the composition;
– Taste and smell (pleasant creamy);
– Caloric value, amount of carbohydrates, fats, proteins;
– Shelf life (no later than six months before the expiration date);
Particular attention should be paid to clarifying the nutrient and energy requirements of children of the first three years. This is due to the fact that at this time there is the most intense development of organs and tissues, their differentiation. In particular, this applies to the brain, bone tissue, blood vessels, skeletal muscles and myocardium, endocrine organs. Modern scientific evidence suggests that insufficient or excessive, poor-quality or unbalanced nutrition of children in the first months of life is an unfavorable factor for future health.